Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bee Cee’s Bar-B-Que


Southern Quivira Road in Overland Park is quickly becoming the mecca of barbeque in the Mecca of Barbeque. A third joint just opened a mile up the road* from Burnt End and John Russell’s. Bee Cee’s opened about 10 minutes before I set my First Customer toe inside their door on Apr 2, 2013. I was expecting a fanfare, maybe some confetti, at least. Bupkis.

What I did get was one dyn-o-mite brisket and sausage sandwich, almost over laden with meat (not that there’s anything wrong with that). The brisket was from the point, but was lean and tender as newborn’s ear. The sausage was a simple link sliced in half. (I despise!!! links simply sliced in half. I want sausage like I want my brisket, sliced.) However, the link was coarse ground and had a robust taste. The natural casing absorbed a plenteous amount of smoke. The brisket had a rich beefy taste, but only a rumor of smoke ring and no bark. (Sandwich, chips, soda, and tax totalled $10.93)

Bee Cee’s is a newborn… all awkward and immature. There was neither sauce nor napkins on the table – kind of a must at a good bbq joint. The floor was a dirty mess, either from a soft opening the night before or never cleaned up from the last café occupant. The french fryer was on the fritz and only bags of plain-jane Lay’s chips were offered. A six-cylinder soda machine features the least amount of Pepsi products available.

Nonetheless, I got nothing but love for startups and Mom&Pops – BeeCee’s qualifies on both accounts. I’ll be back soon to try some ribs. Based on my standards, I score Bee Cee’s as follows:

Brisket 

Sausage 

* Bee Cee’s is nestled in the nasty agglomeration of buildings that KU calls the "Edwards Campus." I just saw a Picasso exhibit in Chicago. This campus looks like the ghost of Picasso is getting his cubism on at the architect’s office.

No site or Facebook page yet. Phone 913 897 4500