Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Two Brothers BBQ

Note: this joint is in Wichita, KS

I’m a big fan of Mom & Pops so I guess that umbrella should extend to cover the kids.

Gorgeous and I ordered two sampler plates (small upcharge to include ribs) and wound up with servings of brisket, pulled pork, burnt ends, and ribs. Sides of okra, fries, and slaw filled the table.

I liked the fact that the whole slab is hand sliced per order. Sliced brisket came from the flat end, burnt ends were whacked from the point. Very nice way to handle and present the meat. The slab, as a whole (both slices and ends), was tender and well smoked. However, the slab, as a whole, also lacked any rub other than a sprinkling of salt and pepper.

The ribs featured the same smoke, same salt & pepper rub. There was only a light smoke taste, good ring, and the ribs were very tender, pulling clean off the bone with some tough spots on the edges.

My historical least favorite meat, pulled pork, was actually the best among the Two Brother's foursome. There was a great bark and both the smoke ring and smoke flavor were top notch.

Two Brothers keeps the sauce simple – the back counter sighs under the weight of jugs of Selmon Brother’s sauce which is a thin, shiny sugar concoction. I wish the “Two” brothers would find a better purveyor than the Selmon’s.

Two Brothers is a clean little joint in the aerospace industrial morass around Beech Aircraft. I’m sure they do a booming business on weekdays at lunch. I would not go too far out of my way to dine there again.

Based on my standards, I score Two Brothers thus:
Brisket
Burnt Ends 
Ribs
Pulled Pork