Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Gran-Daddy’s Q

Note: this joint is in Lawrence. KS

Passing through Lawrence and felt a pang for some ‘Q to go. Gran-Daddy’s Q, conveniently located on L-town’s main drag, was closer in proximity than the sure-bet of Bigg’s. Feeling familial joy, I decided I’d patronize Old Grand Dad and celebrate his commitment to great ‘Q.

Walking in the door, Grandpa has the joint jumpin’ with lively tunes…

When I walk on by, girls be looking like damn he fly
I pimp to the beat, walking down the street in my new la freak, yeah
This is how I roll, animal print pants out control
It's Red Foo with the big afro
An like Bruce Lee rock out the club, yeah

unchewable brisket
Hmmm… Grampa got beats. I scan the menu on the chalk board. My mind boggled as I struggled to select from among the four meats offered: beef (not called brisket), ribs, rib tips, pulled pork. I asked for a half slab o’ ribs and a pound o' “beef”. Darn it all if I didn’t forget the lesson I learned from Greedyman’s – If the order taker has to yell back at the kitchen to ask if they still have some of the (one of four) meats on the menu, RUN, don’t walk out the door.

Yo, when I'm at the mall, security just can't find them all
When I'm at the beach, I'm in a speedo trying to tan my cheeks (whaat?)
This is how I roll, come on ladies it's time to go
We headed to the bar, baby don't be nervous
No shoes, no shirt, and I still get service (watch!)

Serenaded by LMFAO while the last pound of “beef” is hauled out of the fridge, we paid our $25 and hauled our booty (in a pirate sense, not ghetto sense) back to our crib and began to discover what a mistake we’d made.

ribs and a nasty tip
A pale smoke ring and no bark graced the outside of the “beef” which indeed was brisket. Inside, it was tough, real tough. We put it aside and turned to the ribs. This half slab of spare ribs – only five ribs and a nasty knuckle of a rib tip – was way over-cooked. The meat along the bone was just barely overdone, but the meat on the end was gnarly and demanded quite a chewing investment. The slab was well-smoked, but no rub enhanced the meat.

When I walk in the spot, (yea) this is what I see (okaay)
Everybody stops and they staring at me
I got a passion in my pants and I ain't afraid to show it, show it, show it, show it...
I'm sexy and I know it
"fixing" the brisket at home
Ayyy, I'm sexy and I know it
Check it out, check it out

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle yeah (x3)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wig-yea, yea
Do the wiggle, man
I do the wiggle, man (yea)
I'm sexy and I know it...
Ayyy, yeah

The next day, I potted up the “beef” and stewed it for two hours. Between my tenderizing love and my excellent bbq sauce, we enjoyed some wonderful ‘Q sliders.

Based on my standards, my rating of Gran-Daddy’s Q is...
Brisket 

Ribs 

My suggestion…drive a half-mile out of your way and go Biggs or go home!