Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Papa Bob’s Bar-B-Que

(At some point, be sure to read my review of K&M BBQ.  The proprietors of K&M and Papa Bob’s go WAY back and their menus and approaches to the Q’uisine are very similar.)  Papa Bob's Bar-B-Que has a country diner feel right down to the red & white checked tablecloths and folksy waitresses.  Very nice homespun feel.  And Judy and Bob put the Mom and Pop in Mom&Pop.

Looking for a sampling of Papa’s Q, Mrs. I-Didn’t-Know-I-Signed-Up-For-This and I ordered a Burnt End Dinner ($12.00) and a Deluxe Meat Platter (two ribs, brisket, “pulled pork”) ($14.95) which featured K&M’s same generous portions.  The burnt ends were marble-size pieces, with a nice burgundy smoke ring and a bark as black as my rocker son’s wardrobe.  All the ends were delish, but some were chewy – I chalk that up to being cut smaller than necessary.

Like K&M the ribs were full-sized pork spare ribs, literally falling off the bone, maybe too falling off.  The porksicles were tender overall, a little tough at the very tip end (which is why many joints trim the tips off for St Louis style).  They were perfectly smoked, featured a nice bark and gorgeous smoke ring.

The beef brisket was identical to K&M’s – tender and beefy tasting, but not much smoke ring or bark to be seen.  Just like K&M’s, the brisket was mostly chopped with a couple full slices of brisket folded in.  The “pulled” pork was NOT pulled, it was chopped.  It was tasty, but not in the same category as good pulled pork.  Judy (Mom) brought us a complimentary slice of turkey.  Oh, I wish I’d ordered a plateful of it.  Although it was exactly the same batch as K&M’s, this bird was smoky pink and as delicious as I’ve ever had at a BBQ joint.

Sauces were good.  The regular was pleasingly sweet and clearly homemade – lots of spices and herbs doing the backstroke in a handsome tomato base.  There’s a spicy sauce which really didn’t kick it up much.  Judy brought us a bottle of sauce labeled “HAB” for habanero.  I declined – I don’t have to protect my man card by eating the food equivalent of toxic waste.  She prevailed (she’s good like that) and I tasted it.  “Sweet start with a kick at the finish line” - not at all toxic and definitely not a waste.  If you like spicy sauce, grab the HAB.  I got your back.

I’ve saved the best for last.  Being so much like K&M, and the meat not being exceptionally better (except for that Turkey!!), I’m inclined to give Poppa Bob’s 3 piggies.  (Their prices are higher than K&M’s, but I’m told K&M is about to redo their menu… with more digits.)  We were very fortunate to have a great conversation with Judy and then Papa Bob walked in.  These folks have a commitment and a passion to their craft that you don’t often find.  I think I’m being very fair to my readers to give Papa Bob’s the full faith and credit of 4 Happy Little Piggies.  These good folks have put their whole lives into this diner.  You can see it in their smiles and you can taste it in their food.  If the burnt ends had been larger and if the brisket hadn’t fallen apart so much, we’d be talking 5 Porkers.  Don’t care.  I’d go back in a heartbeat just to show my appreciation for what they’re doing to enjoy some well-above average Q.  Judy, Bob, well done!