Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Stack BBQ

note: this joint is the former Smokestack of Fiorella's Smokestack fame... it's a long story

Disappointment swept over me as I stood inside the door of The Stack at about 12:45pm on a Tuesday.  The dining room was no more than half full, but the one waitress was too busy to notice my sidekick and me.  We found a table and did what our waitress was supposed to do… waited.  After another party came in and got her attention, I tracked her down and pleaded for a little attention myself.  She was sincerely apologetic and quickly made up for the slight.  (She was the only gal handling about 8 tables.)

perfection in a basket...
The Stack's ribs can be found at the TOP of the stack!
Today’s special was ribs with fries, beans, and a drink (and pickles and toast) for $9.99.  Ribs are usually a little pricier than a lunch sammich special, but this seemed like a reasonable offer.  When our order arrived I was perfectly aghast to see SEVEN meaty bones staring back at me.  That’s half a slab in most counties!

I’m telling you, I’m trying to hold down the hyperbole, but these porksicles BLEW ME AWAY.  The rub was exquisite and the smoke was ethereal.  I’ve described meat tenderness many ways, but tenderness of these ribs was so endearing a harlequin romance writer would blush.  After a bone and a half, I told my running mate that these were going on the Q’uest for the Best list.  So let it be.

My professional assessment (based on my scoring standards):
Ribs... Taste: 9 Tenderness: 9 Appearance: 9 = Overall: 9

I asked for a wee sample of burnt ends.  They were nice, but not barky or smoky.  Turns out you sorta have to request the burnt end of the burnt end to get the burnt end.  Anyway, the taste and tenderness assured me that if I’d gotten the business end of the burnt end, I’d been glad I had.

New ownership at The Stack BBQ is a few divorce courts removed from the majestic Fiorella name and bloodline, but they pale in no wise to their high-falutin kin.  Get yourself down to whatever part of Kansas City’s backside this area is called and get yourself a plateful of these Ribs of Renown.

This is destination barbeque.
I’m awarding a rare FIVE piggies.