Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Char House Barbeque


The main dining room and kitchen area are in the "lower level" of the building, but it is open, bright, and cheery.  No Wayne or Garth were harmed in the making of this restaurant.  There is a second room with a full wall of exterior windows.  (This room would be great for large groups.)  The whole place has a nice energy to it.

I stopped by for lunch and ordered a brisket+sausage sandwich w/ a side of... wait for it... jambalaya.  The sandwich was generously portioned.  The brisket had a beautiful smoke ring and was tender to the bite.  The sausage surprised me - sweet Italian.  I think it is a grave mistake to serve Italian sausage in a BBQ joint.  Plus, the sausage was not sliced, just stuffed on top of the brisket.

I liberated the sausage link and dosed my sammich with spicy sauce.  Loved it.  I also tasted the regular sauce.  It was sweet and straightforward bbq sauce.  (The meal - two meat sandwich with side and bottomless drink - totalled $8.15.  A great value in my book, but prices have changed since my visit.)

I tried the jambalaya just to see what a bbq joint would do with it.  It tasted like the kind of jambalaya you’d expect from white people running a barbeque joint.  It was a dumb idea.  Char House also specializes in pan-fried chicken.  This kind of cross-platforming makes me uncomfortable.  The best ‘Q I’ve ever had came from joints where ‘Q is all they do do do.

Paul, the dandy young man who opened Char House, stopped by and I chatted him up a bit.  We agreed that smoke is what distinguishes good Q.  Char House has what a successful restaurant needs - an onsite owner who is passionate about his product.  I visited Char House soon after it opened.  I need to get back up there and see how they are maturing.  Best wishes.

Alas, truth in reviewing allows compels me to give Char House only TWO piggies.