Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Suzie Q's Smokehouse

a beautiful sampler
...definitely not from Suzie Q's
When I told Suzie Q that I wrote barbeque restaurant reviews, the look on her face summed up our total experience there – deflated.  Open for about four months when I visited, I can forgive some breaking-in shortcomings, but on the whole, this was a deflating experience.

Suzie makes her home in a reclaimed restaurant that can best be described as Gladstone Medieval.  I assume Sue made no effort at all to spruce up the joint when they moved in.  The place looks fatigued and run down.  But I came for the food, didn’t I?

Mrs. That-Smoke-Smells-Nice-On-You and I ordered Suzie Q’s Sampler ($24.95).  I spied this meat mountain on another patron’s table and was impressed with the heft and diversity.  This Library of Smokegress compiled Spare Ribs, Burnt Ends, Sausage*, Pulled Pork, Chicken Wings, Brisket, and Ham.  I’ll score the meats individually next, but on the whole, my notes indicate that the Suzie's Q was tender and tasty, but generally lack the true essence of great barbeque – smoke, as well as rub.  (When I say “tasty”, I mean the meat had the typical taste of its category, but it lacked the rub and smoke flavor that one goes to a barbeque joint for in the first place.)  The portion sizes we generous – I’d say that this meal could easily feed three “normal” people.  Good luck finding three.

My professional assessment (based on my scoring standards):
Brisket... Taste: 6 Tenderness: 9 Appearance: 7 = Overall: 7.4
Burnt Ends... Taste: 7 Tenderness: 6 Appearance: 7 = Overall: 6.6
Ribs... Taste: 8 Tenderness: 6 Appearance: 7 = Overall: 8
Pulled Pork Taste: 8 Tenderness: 8 Appearance: 8 = Overall: 8
Sausage Taste: 6 Tenderness: 7 Appearance: 6 = Overall: 6.4
            Chicken Taste: 7 Tenderness: 8 Appearance: 8 = Overall: 7.6
            Ham Taste: 6 Tenderness: 6 Appearance: 6 = Overall: 6

* There were actually three kinds of sausage – Italian, Polish, and spicy Polish.  All of which had the quality that you would find in the wiener section of Aldi.

We had a very nice conversation with Suzie Q after our meal.  I pointed out the lack of rib rub on any of the meat.  She said, “We use a little salt and pepper.  I’d like to use more, but mostly we’ve found that our patrons don’t care for much spice.”  My observation is that of the hundred plus bbq joints in KC, even the worst use a discernible rub.  If patrons don’t like Suzie’s, I’d suspect that the rub was repugnant.  Don’t blame the patron if your food is poor.

This restaurant represents a passion shared by both Suzie and her husband.  At this point, they have a ton of work left between them and even good barbeque.  I sincerely wish them the very best.

Suzie Q no better that TWO piggies.