Barbeque KC Restaurant Reviews

Please subscribe to this blog site to receive all new barbeque restaurant reviews.

If you're looking for a review of a particular restaurant, use the search bar in the upper right corner of this page OR scan the list of all reviews at the very bottom of this page.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que

I make it a rule not to write reviews of BBQ chains.  I actually try not to eat at them at all.  But I have a buddy who’s in witness protection in Alaska and the only ‘Q he gets is the pulled porker at Carl’s Jr (which I can easily understand why he likes it).  Occasionally he has to fly to Seattle to rat out some mobsters and he grabs a plateful at Famous Dave’s Bar-B-Que.  So this one is for Craig… oops, I prolly shouldn’t have mentioned his name.

Since when did "Brush Script" become
the de facto font for all things
"Famous"??
There’s nothing wrong with Famous Dave’s that NOT BEING Famous Dave’s wouldn’t fix.  Just being greeted and seated and is an ordeal.  I felt like I was getting a tour of the Cinzetti’s buffet or, worse, like I had slipped into Office Space’s Chotchkie's restaurant.  A hundred people greeted me and the gal who seated me gave me a walking tour of the joint… of course, she was six feet in front of me and looking forward as she prattled on.  I thought she was giving me options of where I wanted to sit.  When I finally got her to stop and look at me it turns out she was telling me where the bathrooms were.  I guess I had that “gotta go” look in my eyes.  (Exiting was the same or worse.  Almost a dozen loitering employees demanded I answer in the affirmative to their “How was everything?” interrogation.)

If you dine at any of KC’s hundred or so ‘Q joints you realize how different they are from the Chili’s and Applebee’s of the world.  Your waiter is not pimping watermelontini’s or pigeondookie appetizers.  It’s a simple process – order eat.  Not so for FD.  The waiters, who are all “Famous”, impose upon you some Tom Clancy-level explanation of every item on the menu as if they invented barbeque and you never heard of it before.

After I ordered, I thought I’d be left alone for a moment to read some emails.  Not so fast.  “Famous Chris” sprang back to my table with a ramekin of thick-cut potato chips and a large saucer onto which he intended to splurt each of five varieties of bbq sauce and to describe each one in depth.  I dismissed him summarily explaining I knew how to taste food for myself.  I had escaped nothing.  The Saucy Sommeliers performed their Wikipedia recital for every customer around me… “The Devil’s Spit is our most flavorful and zesty sauce with strong peppery notes.  The Georgia Goober Loogie sauce is a delightful array of vinegars and mustards with a bright paprika finish.”  If you think I’m exaggerating one bit, well, you’ve never been to Famous Dave’s.  It was as annoying as having a three year old tell you about a flower they once saw… and far less endearing.

Food, oh yes, I had some food.  I ordered the “Texas* Manhandler” a hamburger bun unbrimming with brisket and spicy hot links.  The brisket was perfect!  Tender + Smoke Ring + Bark.  Perfect – albeit chopped in postage stamp-sized pieces instead of just sliced.  The hot link was the kind of dog you’d get at a minor league ballpark in Utah.  Fine, mushy grind with enough red pepper to keep you from suing it for impersonating boloney.  At $9.99, this is easily the worst value for a barbeque sandwich to be found anywhere.

If you’re sequestered in some northern clime where barbeque is conceptually or logistically impractical, then I think a plate or two of Famous Dave’s a year won’t kill you (unlike Vinnie the Squid will when he figures out where you eat).  My buddy, Mr. Baldwin (oops), gets to eat all the smoked salmon he pleases.  I’d stick to that and leave the barbeque to the locals in KC.

* The menu features a lot of dishes with Texas in the name.  For a national chain based in Minnetonka, MN, this is an unseemly and unwarranted fixation.